General IT Support
The peace of mind of having a reliable and trustworthy IT solutions provider.
What We Offer
Constantly dealing with the same issues everyday saps valuable time and energy that could be better used to move your business forward. We can take care of them so that you can focus on serving your customers.
Among the technology issues that businesses face are:
Data Back-up Concerns
Worrying about IT Security
Systems Constantly Requiring Time-consuming Manual Updates
Having to Find “Workarounds” to Complete Basic IT Tasks
RealClear IT can help you with
RealClear provide IT support services for all your PCs running Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10 operating systems. As well as troubleshooting errors, we also help to ensure that everything runs smoothly and efficiently.
Keep your Windows computers running smoothly
- Windows PC speed-up service
- New PC set-up
- Office 365 support
- Email support (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc)
- Windows error messages
- Non-booting Windows systems
- Hard disk replacement (mechanical and SSD)
- RAM (Memory) Upgrades
- Microsoft Office support (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc)
RealClear provide IT support services for Apple Mac IT problems, including:
- Non-starting Apple iMacs, Macbooks and Macbook Air
- Apple Mac speed-up service
- Windows-on-a-Mac Support (Bootcamp, Vmware and Parallels)
- Office for Mac support (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Hard-disk replacement or upgrade (Mechanical and SSD)
- Email Support (Mac Mail, Thunderbird and Outlook)
- Vmware Fusion and Parallels support
- Memory (RAM) upgrades
- Troubleshooting of OS X operating system issues
- iCloud support
- Apple networking support
- Time Machine support
- Apple Consulting
As your business begins to take advantage of Cloud services to improve data availability and protection, RealClear can provide support for popular hosted applications like Dropbox and Gmail for Business.
- Dropbox Support – Dropbox is an extremely popular file syncing application for Cloud-based storage. However, it sometimes needs to be reconfigured for business use and we’re on hand to help.
- Gmail for Business Support – Gmail for Business is an extremely popular email service, and RealClear can help to configure and deploy the service to your users.
Our experienced engineers will ensure that your Cloud applications are ready to use, and provide basic training so that your team can get started immediately.
Office 365 Pre-Purchase Support
Are you still considering whether Office 365 is the right choice for your business? If so, let the RealClear IT team help you to make the decision with our pre-purchase support service. We will:
- Identify whether Office 365 can help your business
- Assess whether your current IT infrastructure is compatible with Office 365
- Help you to choose the right Office 365 plan
- Provide you with an Office 365 trial before you commit to a full contract
Benefits of Office 365
- Easy Access – Anywhere, anytime access to your documents, contacts and calendars means that documents can be written, viewed or edited from any device, immediately boosting your productivity.
- Collaboration – Office 365 allows users to work together on the same file. Its version control feature means that comments and updates can be easily tracked and you can stop wasting time chasing down multiple copies of the same document.
- Reliability – Microsoft promises 99.9% uptime and geo-redundancy, which means the system is always available when you need it.
- IT risk reduced – The risks of data loss due to theft, fire, flood or disk failure are eliminated because your documents are hosted on a secure server.
- Compatibility – Office apps are now available for iPads, iPhones and Android, which allows for easy document creation and editing on-the-go.
- No VPN required – With Office 365, you no longer need a VPN connection to your office to access shared documents, contacts, calendar or email, which increases data security and simplifies network management.
- Easier syncing with mobile devices – With Office 365, your team’s mobile devices are easily synced with your hosted server.
- Larger Mailbox – Office 365 offers a 25GB mailbox, which means no more full inboxes or corrupt Outlook .PST files.
Office 365 Technical Support
Like any software application, Office 365 is not without its problems. You will sometimes need support with problems ranging from signing-in issues to email configuration issues.
Typical Office 365 problems we can help you with include:
- Email Configuration – Configuring Office 365 to work with Outlook, Mac Mail or mail apps on mobile devices like Microsoft Surface or iPad
- Office 365 Licensing Issues – Problems with adding or renewing licenses
- Office 365 Sync Issues – Where Office 365 devices are not reliably talking to each other, resulting in missing data
- Migration Issues – Such as migrating from local storage to the Office 365 Cloud
- Calendar Issues – Where team calendars are not completely syncing or not syncing at all
- Printing from Office 365 – Ensuring reliable printing from all Office 365 apps
- Office 365 Performance Issues – Applications, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint or Outlook are slow to open or to use
Email troubleshooting and mobile email solutions for your business
Email is one of the most important communication tools for your business. An unreliable email system can lead to unhappy customers and unproductive staff. It also projects a poor image of your business or organisation.
RealClear IT supports most major email clients (both local and hosted), including Outlook, hosted Exchange, Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail, Gmail, Outlook Web Access and Thunderbird.
We offer a complete email support service that solves typical problems like:
- Email set-up and configuration on Windows and Mac
- Email configuration on mobile devices, such as the iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Email troubleshooting for Gmail for business
- Email troubleshooting for Hosted Exchange
- Email troubleshooting for your own domain / website email (e.g. Blacknight)
- Email troubleshooting for POP3 / SMTP and IMAP configurations
- Email spam filtering solutions (software and hardware)
We also provide mobile email support for:
- Eir (Eircom) email
- Virgin (UPC) email
- Three email
Our engineers are fully experienced in:
- Outlook email support
- Windows Live Mail support
- Mac Mail Support
- Office 365 Email support
- Thunderbird support
- Gmail for business support
And when your business is ready to adopt Cloud email services, Real Clear IT can help you with:
- Migrating email to Gmail for Business
- Migrating email to Microsoft 365
- Migrating email to Hosted Exchange
We also offer enhanced email services, such as:
- Encrypted email solutions
- Email backup solutions
- Email archiving solutions
- Email sharing and collaboration solutions
Remote Email Support
Many email problems can be solved remotely. Just call-us to arrange a remote support session and watch as our engineers fix your problem – wherever you are.
Mini Case Study – From Email Hell to Email Nirvana
A Dublin accountancy firm approached RealClear IT for help with their rather precarious email setup. The firm’s owner was using four different email accounts, and his two staff were also using two different accounts each – a total of 8 accounts in all. There would be an incident almost every week where an inbound email from a client would go missing. This resulted in a lot of wasted time spent looking for the email, or the embarrassment of having to request a resend from the customer. RealClear IT support was asked to devise a more reliable and streamlined email system to simplify address management and prevent any further ‘loss’ of messages.
Our engineers set them up with a new hosted email platform that used automated forwarding rules on their old account to deliver incoming messages to the new system automatically. Their new email system had an easy and quick search facility to locate specific messages. We then configured their accounts to sync with Outlook and Mac mail clients on their computers. The new system also allows all of their email accounts to be accessed on mobile devices, such as iPads and iPhones. Lastly, we set-up a two factor authentication for enhanced security.
Ten days after deployment, the customer and his team were delighted. The stress of lost emails emails had been eliminated from their workflow, so they could now concentrate on delivering their clients an even better accountancy service.
POP3, SMTP and IMAP Settings for popular email service providers
Without proper configuration of your mail server settings, your email will never work reliably. Use the following server addresses to configure your mobile email clients:
Eir POP3 and SMTP settings
- Incoming: mail1.eircom.net
- Outgoing: mail1.eircom.net
- Webmail: webmail.eircom.net
Three Ireland POP3 and SMTP
- Outgoing: mail-relay.3ireland.ie
- Outgoing: smtp.virginmediamail.ie
- POP3 server name: pop3.virginmedia.com
- POP3 SSL: Enabled
- POP3 port: 995
- POP3 authentication: Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
- POP3 username: Full email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change
- POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication): Disabled
Incoming mail (IMAP4)
- IMAP4 server name: imap.virginmedia.com
- IMAP4 SSL: Enabled
- IMAP4 port: 993
- IMAP4 authentication: Enabled ('Password' on Macs)
- IMAP4 username: Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.
- IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication): Disabled
Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server:
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:
- Incoming Server: pop33r.cp.blacknight.com or mail.blacknight.com
- SMTP Outgoing Server: smtp1r.cp.blacknight.com or mail.blacknight.com
Email is a critical service your business needs to run smoothly
Hosted Exchange offers your business:
- 50GB mailbox per user
- Shared calendars
- Shared tasks
- Outlook anywhere access
- Sync with iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows Phone
Hosted Exchange from RealClear IT Support allows your staff to access their email from anywhere on any device
But you also benefit from:
- Anti-spam and anti-virus protection
- Easy access from anywhere, using Outlook Web Access and Outlook
- Enhanced security with TLS/SSL encryption
- Not having to manage an Exchange server on your premises, saving you time and money
Storage and File Sharing Solutions
Centralised file storage for easy collaboration, using hosted, on-premises and hybrid data storage solutions.
Your data is one of the most important assets that your company holds. It deserves to be handled with care and respect. But for that same data to be useful to your business, it has to be accessible to your team. RealClear IT can help you to identify your data goals and define the right storage platform for your needs.
Hosted Cloud Storage Solution
For maximum data availability and protection, your business can move all of your files to the Cloud by using a hosted Cloud storage solution. All of your files are stored off-site and can be accessed from your PC, tablet or smartphone, whenever you need them and wherever you are.
Contact RealClear IT to learn more about the options available.
Hybrid Storage (hosted and on-premises)
Hybrid storage syncs files from your office to the Cloud by combining the power of the Cloud with your own on-site resources to provide enhanced protection against loss. As a bonus, your team can also access important files when they are out of the road, without asking colleagues to email them spare copies.
The hybrid storage platforms that we both deploy and support for customers include:
- Google Drive
- Dropbox for Business
- Microsoft OneDrive
Local File Storage Solutions
Your business will always need to keep some data on site, if only to meet your data protection obligations. RealClear IT can help you to decide what data you need to store in house, as well as the best technologies to keep it safe and secure.
Benefits of an on-premises file server
Choosing to store data locally by using a Synology NAS (or similar) will give your business:
- Simplicity – A NAS server is typically easier to administer than a Windows Small Business server
- Share Files Effortlessly – Most NAS servers now support Windows and Apple devices, so that your mobile devices can access or upload files seamlessly
- Easy Expandability – Extra storage capacity can be easily added to your NAS server as your business grows
- Protection against disk failure – Most NAS devices support RAID functionality, so even if one disks fails, your data should still be intact
Choosing a NAS storage server – some factors to consider
Not all NAS storage servers are the same. You need to consider:
- Storage capacity – If you intend to store vast quantities of video files, virtual machines or other large files on your NAS, you will probably be looking for a device with at least 4 drive bays that can support disks of up to 4TB
- Speed – Many NAS devices, just like servers, have their own CPU chip that determines the performance of your device
- Remote access – Some NAS devices support remote access better than others
- Operating System Support – If your team uses both Windows and Mac, it is advisable to use a NAS device that supports both operating systems
Mini Case Study – hybrid file sharing and storage solution for a Dublin architect’s firm
We were helping an architectural firm in Ranelagh Dublin 6 with a file sharing problem. Their remote working team used email to share large CAD files. However, CAD files soon started clogging up their inboxes and this was beginning to affect the workflow and performance of the team. They needed a solution that stored files on-premises and in “the Cloud”. They also wanted a system that would be easy to use, could handle exceptionally large files and offered continuous synchronisation.
After analysing their workflow in more detail, our IT Support devised a hybrid solution for them. Now they could store large files locally, which was also synced to the Cloud. This meant that their remote team could easily access and share files without the hassle of email. The continuous synchronisation feature meant that every file was continually updated, so that all the team used a single, accurate copy of each file.
Wired Network Solutions
Having a secure and reliable network is vital to the smooth running of your business. We can set-up, maintain and troubleshoot all of your network issues.
Networking of Printers or Multi-Function Devices to Windows and Apple Mac devices
A networked printer can be shared by all your team. This saves on hardware and running costs. RealClear IT support offers a complete printer configuration and troubleshooting service for networked (and USB) printers that connects to Windows and Apple Mac devices. The brands we regularly work with include Canon, HP, Kyocera and Oki.
Networking of File Storage / Back-up Devices
Your business needs a central storage device like a server (PC or dedicated server) or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) for devices to be able to centrally store files. We work with Windows Server, Synology NAS, Qnap, ReadyNAS, G-Tech and Apple Time Machine.
The networking switch is the kingpin of your network. This device receives, processes and forwards data to all the destination devices. Switches can be as small as a 5-port or as large as a 48-port device. The switches are of two variants: “managed” and “un-managed”. Managed switches allow you to customise QoS (Quality of Service) or VLAN settings, whilst unmanaged means that all of the data is managed according to the device’s own default settings. RealClear IT Support works with HP, Cisco, Netgear, TP-link and Juniper switches.
Modem / Router Configuration
Your (ADSL, fibre-power or cable) modem is the device that connects directly to your switch, PC or wireless access point and is used to establish an internet connection from your ISP (internet service provider) to your office. Most broadband modems are supplied by your ISP and relatively trouble-free. Occasionally, however, these devices fail or need configuration changes applied to them. RealClear IT Support has experience in configuring and troubleshooting Eir, Vodafone, Virgin and Three modem routers so that you can get a fast and reliable internet connection.
Addition of new PCs or devices to your Network
If you have recently purchased a new PC and need it professionally configured to talk to the rest of the devices on your network – we can help.
Troubleshooting tips if you have no internet connection or it is intermittent
- Check Twitter to see if your internet service provider is having an outage in your area.
- Check the status of your modem’s DSL light. A solid green DSL light usually indicates that the connection is OK. However, a flashing green or red DSL light usually indicates that your modem has a problem connecting to your internet service provider.
- Have you tried power cycling the router (turning it off for at least one minute and then turning it back on)?
- What changes have been made to your network recently? Have you added any new hardware, like networked printers, POS terminals, credit card machines or any networked security systems?
Accelerate your business with ultra-fast, secure WiFi
Wireless Networking for Apple and Windows environments
Boost employee productivity and workplace efficiency with our wireless network solutions
The days of users being tethered to their desks by cables are over. High-speed wireless solutions mean your office can now be completely wireless.
- Comprehensive Coverage – Wireless in your home or office without dead-spots.
- Robust Wireless – Our networks are robust and reliable. Modern wireless networks should not need constant maintenance. They should just work.
- Secure – We deploy wireless networks that use the latest security protocols, such as WPA2-AES with authentication to keep your network safe from digital snoopers and cybercriminals.
- Affordable – We believe that small business IT users are entitled to corporate-grade wireless network standards without the corporate price tag.
Wireless Network Troubleshooting
Is your current WiFi connection continually dropping? Are wireless dead-spots in your office or home hindering productivity? We troubleshoot and install wireless networks in your home or office.
Why is my WiFi continually dropping?
An intermittent or continually dropping internet connection can be extremely frustrating. An unreliable wireless network can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Defective WLAN card – A failing or defective wireless networking card (Atheros, Intel, etc) in your computing device can cause your internet connection to be intermittent and unstable.
- Corrupt or Misconfigured Operating System Settings – Sometimes corrupt or misconfigured wireless settings on your device can cause connection instability. For example, corrupt Network Preference files will cause intermittent wireless connections in OS X devices.
- Interference – Wireless networks can suffer interference from neighbouring WLAN networks or devices, such as microwaves, baby monitors or water pumps.
- Attenuation – The further you get away from your wireless router or access point the more attenuated (weakened) the signal gets as it travels through walls and ceilings, etc. This is especially true if you’re using devices on the 5GHz bandwidth.
- Rogue DHCP servers – Sometimes “rouge DHCP” servers on your network can wreak havoc with wireless routers and access points. For a SoHo network, there should only ever be one device that acts as a DHCP server.
We provide support and assistance for routers and access points from Netgear, TP-Link, Asus, Huawei and Apple (Airport Extreme and Airport Express). We also troubleshoot wireless modem-routers as supplied by Eir, Virgin (UPC), Vodafone and Three.
Our Wireless Troubleshooting Process
All of of our wireless troubleshooting activities follow a standard plan:
- Discussion of your priorities
- Wireless Site Survey
- Proposed Solution
- Solution Implementation
- Wireless testing
WiFi Extension Service – Beat WiFi Deadspots in your Home or Office
No matter how well your wireless network is configured, there will be some parts of your home or office that your wireless network does not extend to. These are known as wireless deadspots. It might be a floor in your home or office where wireless internet coverage is weak or non-existent. Or it might be a garden office near your house.
You might have already tried “internet-boosters”, but found these to be of little use. If all this sounds familiar, we can professionally install a robust and far-reaching wireless network for you.
- A robust and reliable 802.11n or 802.11ac stable wireless network with “all area” coverage of your office or home.
- A wireless network that supports roaming, which means you do not have to continually connect and disconnect as you move from one room to another. The network will use the same SSID and password.
- A wireless network that uses the latest security protocols to protect your data from unauthorised snoopers.
- A wireless network that supports Apple and Windows devices equally well.
Mini case study – robust wireless network for Dublin civil engineer
A Dublin civil engineer needed to extend his wireless network to his custom-built office located in the back garden of his home. He had already tried several “wireless booster” solutions, but none of them provided him with a successful solution. RealClear IT Support performed a wireless site survey in his house and custom-built garden office. We decided on a wireless solution that worked in the 2MHZ to 68 MHz frequency that would provide him with data transfer rates of up to 500Mbps. We then applied 128-Bit AES encryption to secure the network.
The result: no more wireless drop outs. The engineer was able to roam seamlessly from his home to his office without having to change the network. He was more than satisfied with the solution to this very frustrating problem, and able to concentrate on his work and customers rather than the nagging worry of dropping wireless.
The Ingredients of Quality Data Cabling
RealClear install both Category 5 and Category 6 networks. We also help to troubleshoot data cabling problems that prevent your computer network from communicating properly.
Some of the factors that you need to consider for network projects include:
- Networks never become smaller or less complex
- It is important to always install more network outlets than you currently require, as extra points always come in useful
- Plan for higher speeds than are currently available today. Just because 1000 Base-T network is not a requirement for you today, does not mean you won't need it in five years’ time
- Installers of your network should provide both documentation of the network structure (e.g. a network map) and the layout to you
The Cost of Poor Quality Cabling
The frustration and downtime that can arise from a poorly planned and poorly implemented cable network can be staggering.
One company that we helped move into a new office space was using the existing cable infrastructure, which was alleged to be Category 5. Almost immediately users began to report intermittent connection problems. These difficulties included the exceptionally slow time it took to read emails, save documents and access the sales database. Other users reported that their PCs were locking up when they accessed shared files across the network. After many months of frustration, the company had the cable runs tested and the cabling was found to be of such poor quality that it did not even meet the minimum requirements for a Category 5 installation. Moreover, the cabling was installed and terminated incorrectly, creating problems at every point of the network.
Mini Case Study – When it rains, it pours...
One of our customers in Ballsbridge, Dublin had quite a strange problem with an intermittent network connection. We checked all their routers, switches, desktops and server, but all of their network configuration appeared to be correct. When we asked staff if they had noticed any pattern to the network outage problem, one lady said the problem only happened when it rained!
This small clue led us to believe that some part of the cabling might be exposed to the elements. After some searching, we eventually found a small length of cable (approximately three quarters of a metre long) which was outside the building, badly frayed and getting damp when it rained. We replaced it with an exterior black polyethylene external grade cable, specially designed to cope with damp, icy and hot conditions and the problem never reoccurred.
Key ingredients for good network design
Your wired (LAN) or wireless (WLAN) network is the backbone of your IT infrastructure. A badly designed network will leave you with untold problems that will slow down your productivity and frustrate staff. A well designed network should just work. It should be fast, reliable, secure and simple-to-use.
A good network should have adequate throughput and bandwidth, so that your team can get their tasks completed quickly and smoothly.
A good network is reliable and “just works”. A badly designed network that uses poor quality hardware will be slow, prone to outages and pose a security risk to your data.
A properly configured, robust and secure network does not have to be complicated to use. End-users should be able to access network resources and share files easily.
With security breaches becoming more common, a secure business network is more important than ever. For example, is your network protected from DoS attacks? Is your WLAN encryption secure enough? Are there proper intrusion detection and prevention systems in place? Proper penetration testing should be undertaken at regular intervals to ensure that security levels remain sufficiently strong.
Your network should be designed with the future in mind. Questions like “will there be more or less users on the network shortly?” should be be carefully considered. Building a good network from the ground up is sometimes better than “bolting-on” network functionality later.
Your network should be flexible enough to deal with legacy hardware or applications, but should also be reasonably future-proofed to handle technology changes further down the line.
Make the Right IT Decisions
It can be difficult to know what hardware, software or Cloud services to buy for your small business. Newspapers, computer magazines and websites that aim to please their advertisers don’t always give impartial advice. Likewise, some IT support companies who are affiliated with certain vendors are not always totally objective either. With RealClear IT Support, you will get independent, experienced purchasing advice.
Prevent IT problems before they start
Does any of this sound familiar?
- Employees complaining of slow Apple and Windows computers
- Endpoint devices and networks not properly protected from viruses and other threats
- Slow network access
- Continual firefighting IT problems that lead to downtime and missed deadlines
- Poor wireless internet coverage
- Unreliable email
- Unreliable printing or scanning
- Messy file and document sharing
- Data being stored in multiple scattered locations
- Having a backup system, but having no confidence in it
- Continually fire-fighting small, but very time consuming IT problems
RealClear IT can help to resolve these problems, giving you the benefits of a robust, reliable and streamlined IT set-up without the headaches.
Prevent downtime before it happens
Wouldn’t it be nice to prevent IT problems from occurring before they start to lead to frustration and downtime?
With remote monitoring solutions from RealClear IT Support, you get an overview of your business IT health from an on-line console.
What we cover
- Servers, laptops, desktops (Windows and Apple) and your network are scanned for anomalies and possible problems
- Backup – making sure that your back-up software is functioning correctly
- Security – monitoring of security and anti-spam software
- Operating System updates – monitoring of your Microsoft and Apple Mac operating systems for critical updates
- Third-party software updates – monitoring of third-party software, such as Adobe Acrobat, Java, Microsoft Office, etc, for critical updates
Benefits of remote monitoring
Proactive maintenance and the detection of IT issues before they become problems
The best and often most effective way to manage IT is by proactively identifying issues that might lead to downtime. Monitoring software can help to detect problems on your network, as well as individual systems.
Spot issues early and minimise business disruption
No network is perfect. When problems do arise, remote monitoring can help you to address them before they lead to downtime.
Peace of Mind
Remote monitoring gives you peace of mind, as you know that your computers and network are working as they should – so you can focus on your core business activities.